Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dakar - Cars: Al-Attiyah wins first Dakar!!!


Nasser Al-Attiyah avoided any trouble on the final day of the Dakar to win his first ever overall title!!!

The Qatari started the day over 48 minutes ahead of team-mate and runner-up Giniel de Villiers and extended that advantage by finishing second on the straightforward final stage from Cordoba back to Buenos Aires.
Carlos Sainz, who slipped out of contention after problems during the final week, did at least manage to win the final two stages of the race.
The leading three are all members of the Volkswagen team.
"It means a lot to win the Dakar, for me, for my people, my country and my team," said Al-Attiyah.
"It is a great victory. It's very difficult to explain what is happening in my head. But it's very nice .
"We showed we had the strongest team in the world. This is the greatest moment of my sporting career. It was a dream to win the Dakar. I think after this win everyone will know where Qatar is."

GENERAL CLASSIFICATION

1 Nasser Al-Attiyah 45:16:16
2 Giniel de Villiers + 49:41
3 Carlos Sainz + 1:20:38
4 Stéphane Peterhansel + 1:43:48
5 Krzystof Holowczyc + 4:11:21
6 Mark Miller + 4:54:42
7 Ricardo Dos Santos + 6:50:07
8 Christian Lavieille + 7:57:18
9 Guilherme Spinelli + 8:23:37
10 Matthias Kahle + 15:11:56

News & Photos From:
Eurosport

No comments:

Post a Comment