Monday, March 28, 2011
WSBK: Melandri wins race one at Donington!!!
Marco Melandri topped the podium in the first World Superbikes race of the day at Donington Park in just his third championship race!!!
The Yamaha World Superbike rider has spent the previous eight seasons racing in the Moto GP class but signalled his intentions on his arrival at round one at Phillip Island last month, helping himself to a podium finish.
And the Italian went two better at the first round at Donington, getting the better of long-time leader Jakub Smrz for a winning margin of 2.455 seconds.
The podium was completed by early-season pace setter Althea Racing Ducati rider Carlos Checa who, after taking the double at round one Down Under, leads the standings by 14 points.
Race results (1) - Donington Park
1. Marco Melandri ITA Yamaha WSBK YZF R1 34mins 33.189secs
2. Jakub Smrz CZE Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R +2.455s
3. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R +5.839s
4. Leon Haslam GBR BMW Motorrad S1000RR +6.176s
5. Jonathan Rea GBR Castrol Honda CBR1000RR +9.039s
6. Noriyuki Haga JPN PATA Aprilia RSV-4 +9.215s
7. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Alitalia Racing RSV-4 +9.960s
8. Leon Camier GBR Aprilia Alitalia Racing RSV-4 +14.860s
9. Troy Corser AUS BMW Motorrad S1000RR +14.877s
10. Joan Lascorz ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +16.182s
11. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R +25.820s
12. Ruben Xaus ESP Castrol Honda CBR1000RR +28.278s
13. Ayrton Badovini ITA BMW Italia S1000RR +31.869s
14. Roberto Rolfo ITA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +40.015s
15. Mark Aitchison AUS Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +1min 00.126s
16. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki RTS ZX-10R 17 laps completed
17. Michel Fabrizio ITA Suzuki Alstare GSX-R1000 14 laps completed
18. Maxime Berger FRA Supersonic Ducati 1098R 5 laps completed
19. Eugene Laverty IRL Yamaha WSBK YZF R1 3 laps completed
Did Not Start
Chris Vermeulen AUS Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R
Posted by mohammad adam Shafian at 12:19 AM